xScope on menubar only *Feature Request*

chocobanana

26 Jan, 2012 12:28 PM

Hi team,

I would love to have an option to have xScope on the menubar only, i.e. do not show on dock. Possibly use right mouse-click on any of the tools to access a context menu that gives access to xScope preferences and quitting the application.

Then when cmd-tabbing through applications xScope does not appear.

Thanks again for the great work.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Gedeon on 26 Jan, 2012 02:39 PM

It's not possible to hide the dock icon and leave the menu bar I'm afraid. The next update 3.0.1 will have a command-line pref to hide the dock, but the menu bar will go away as well. This is about the best we can do I'm afraid. Stay tuned, and thanks for the feedback.

2. Gedeon closed this discussion on 26 Jan, 2012 02:39 PM.

3. chocobanana re-opened this discussion on 26 Jan, 2012 02:53 PM

4. 2 Posted by chocobanana on 26 Jan, 2012 02:53 PM

is that a limitation of xScope or Mac OS? There are other apps that offer such functionality...

5. Support Staff 3 Posted by Gedeon on 26 Jan, 2012 02:55 PM

Which apps do you run that have no dock icon, don't appear in the app switcher but also have a menubar? I'm curious to know.

6. Gedeon closed this discussion on 26 Jan, 2012 02:55 PM.

7. chocobanana re-opened this discussion on 26 Jan, 2012 05:07 PM

8. 4 Posted by chocobanana on 26 Jan, 2012 05:07 PM

9. Support Staff 5 Posted by craig on 26 Jan, 2012 05:28 PM

There are only three options for an "active" application:

NSApplicationActivationPolicyRegular The application is an ordinary app that appears in the Dock and may have a user interface. This is the default for bundled apps, unless overridden in the Info.plist.

NSApplicationActivationPolicyAccessory The application does not appear in the Dock and does not have a menu bar, but it may be activated programmatically or by clicking on one of its windows. This corresponds to value of the LSUIElement key in the application’s Info.plist being 1.

NSApplicationActivationPolicyProhibited The application does not appear in the Dock and may not create windows or be activated. This corresponds to the value of the LSBackgroundOnly key in the application’s Info.plist being 1. This is also the default for unbundled executables that do not have Info.plists.

When you hide the Dock icon with NSApplicationActivationPolicyAccessory, the menu bar goes away as well. There is no way to work around this.

10. 6 Posted by chocobanana on 26 Jan, 2012 05:46 PM

See the attached TunesArt preferences screenshot, there must be a workaround. The app is free, have a go with yourselves.

11. Gedeon closed this discussion on 26 Jan, 2012 06:07 PM.

12. craig re-opened this discussion on 26 Jan, 2012 06:10 PM

13. Support Staff 7 Posted by craig on 26 Jan, 2012 06:10 PM

That's a window toolbar, not the system-wide menu bar.

An app that's running without a Dock icon can show windows normally, including ones that have a toolbar. It just can't show a menu bar.

14. 8 Posted by chocobanana on 26 Jan, 2012 09:28 PM

Oh, I think I know what you mean. Correct me if I'm wrong: because xScope has that floating toolbar, it is not possible to have it represented only by the various icons in the menubar?

15. Gedeon closed this discussion on 27 Jan, 2012 03:00 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac